Amigos da Terra NGO is looking for a Portuguese volunteer in his *Environmental Education and Nature Centre* project in Spain.
We have a vacancy to start in 1st February 2018 for a period of 11 months until 31th of December 2018.
Description of organisation:
In Amigos da Terra Galicia Xuventude we are working to make society more respectful with the environment, a fairer society showing more solidarity. We are part of a bigger organisation Friends of the Earth International which has groups in 66 countries and 1 million members.
Our campaigns include the environmental and social aspects to reach a sustainable society. We are concentrating our efforts in attaining transgenic- free sustainable food consumption, awareness to manage waste, also on climate change and ways to mitigate it and we have worked in projects for development cooperation. More information is available on our web pages: www.amigosdaterra.net
Our organization manages in the province of Ourense a environmental centres with the aim to raise awareness the general population on environmental subjects. On the one hand an information centre on youth and environmental issues (www.amigosdaterra.net) in which we provide specialized consulting services in environmental law, activities of environmental education for schools and other youth groups, and training programs for environmental volunteers.
Ourense is located in the Northwest of Spain, communicated by bus or train from the following cities: Vigo 1 hour, Santiago de Compostela 1 hour 30', Corunna 2h, Madrid 5 hours.
Ourense belongs to the Autonomous Community of Galicia which is characterized to have an identity and own culture within the context of Spain, and in which two languages are spoken: Galician and Spanish.
It is an eminently rural province, being agriculture and cattle the main economic activities, which are complemented together with some food industries and some from textile sector.
Ourense has 120,000 inhabitants in the capital and in which is the university campus that belong to the University of Vigo.
Proposed activities for EVS volunteers:
All the programmed activities are in relation to managing sustainability in the environment and the development of the local populations, based on endogenous resources, research, training, and theparticipation of the local communities.
The volunteer's tasks will be to participate and help the rest of the team (both volunteers and staff) in the activities and services carried out in our Organisation. The actual tasks of the volunteer will depend on his/hers abilities and skills. The activities would be for example:
- Environmental Information Service: Direct attention to public, search for information resources, preparation and diffusion of the compiled information, planning and evaluation of activities, contributing own initiatives, drawing up reports.
- Environmental Data Service: Participate in the draw up, design and execution of environmental education programmes and activities. Collaborate with the staff in the updating and distribution of information about courses, activities, subventions, seminars,...Elaboration of didactic material (pamphlets, brochures, posters...) for students and people in general
- Campaigns: Collaboration and Participate in the draw-up and monitoring of the local, national and international environmental campaigns, in which the Association participates: Tree Day, Earth Day, Environmental Day
- Support in administrative tasks: participate in the translation/explanation of documents in other languages, in which the volunteer might be fluent.
- Entertainment activities: The hosting organisation carries out certain entertainment-educational activities ( visits to the country-side, trekking, sports, etc) in which the volunteer can participate Collaborate with other volunteers in the animation of leisure time groups for children and teenagers
- Preparation of workshops in the following areas: recycling, waste, compost, alternative energies...
- Collaborate with other volunteers in different campaigns of distribution of information about the Youth Programme: repartition of flyers, information talks, courses, ...
- Help young people from Ourense to participate in the Youth Programme (Youth Exchanges, EVS,...): helping with the language, contributing ideas....
- Develop a personal project related with one of the activities of the Amigos da Terra, adjusted to his preferences, abilities and capacities.
In our Web pages: www.amigosdaterra.net there is all the information on the different activities that we organise.
Also we recomend visit our blog http://evsinadt.blogspot.com.es/ with information about evs volunteers.
Volunteer profiles and recruitment process:
Profile of the volunteers and selection process:
We are looking for volunteers with the following profile:
Interest in environmental subjects
Independent, flexible and good team workers.
-A person with iniciative to develop her own personal project
With social abilities able to work with children and young people We are willing to work with any organisation.
We have a Portuguese partner as sending organization GAIA Alentejo in São Luís Odemira: https://europa.eu/youth/volunteering/organisation/942547837_en
If you are interested you can fill the application form documents in the attachment/link: Volunteer data
Also send CV and a motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are receiving applications for this time until 21th of January.
We´ll study all the applications and we take a decision about the selection of volunteers on 22th of January.
Angel Dorrío Amigos da Terra
Rúa Bedoia, 5 - 2º D · 32004 Ourense
tel (+34) 988 37 43 18